February 26

20,000 Leagues under the Sea

WIN_20160202_11_31_09_ProIn Language Arts we are once again doing D.E.A.R. and I had to choose a novel. My chosen novel 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, written by Jules Verne, tells a story of a Professor who was supposed to hunt down a sea monster that has destroyed several ships and caused chaos. However, he the somehow ends up in an unknown submarine called the Nautilus. He discovers the depths of the ocean, but the he finds that there is no escape from the Nautilus.

So far I really enjoyed the book. I like the use of language the author is using, making the story seem old and mysterious, for example “You and your companions will not, perhaps, have so much to complain of in the chance which has bound you to my fate”. I was really excited to see what the sea monster was and was really surprised when it turned out be a Submarine. I probably also find this book interesting because it is all around water and the ocean. However, sometimes it is hard to understand the text because it is quite complicated language and therefore I always have to look in the context to find the meaning of certain words.

Even though I read that the professor and his servant are onboard the Nautilus, I did not understand how they got there. Hopefully I will find that out soon.

I am really excited to read what animals and things they will discover in 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and what the professor will do to escape his prison. I am wondering what and when something will happen like on the front cover.

Posted February 26, 2016 by maxleman in category Reading Journal